Monday, November 22, 2010

Time out for some hiking!

One of the very best things about living in New Zealand is that EVERYTHING is so close.  We live 1/2 hour from mountains, 15 min from the ocean and it is the capitol of all outdoor activities.  
One Saturday morning we woke up and my dear husband announced we were going hiking today and we were leaving in 20 min.  Something you should know about me is that I like to be spontaneous, but I need a bit of notice - like more than 20 min, also I do not function very well without my coffee in the morning.  Needless to say I was in a state of shock for the first 5 min, then pouting as we girls do sometimes, and finally compromise as long as we stopped for a long black(aka the closest think to black brewed coffee in NZ) on the way.  So off we went to Mt. Somers in our hiking clothes, coffee in hand, happy couple, all was good in the world.
 At the beginning of the bus stop overhang route
 Still waking up and eternally walking uphill.  Thomas' legs are way longer, so he goes on ahead. 
Thomas' trademark pose.  Walking across a tussock plateau pointing at the Southern Alps.

 Mom- we found a heart rock!

Swinging bridge, almost to the Woolshed creek hut half way through.  
 We made it! 
On the way back out.  Amazing hike on a beautiful NZ summer day.  Although I was hesitant at first, I am so glad we did this.  It took us about 5 hours in total and we loved every minute!
In the words of a very famous friend http://jalexanderphotography.blogspot.com/: Get Outside!

1 comment:

  1. something[s] about this adventure are quite familiar...te hee. looks like an amazing hike! [yes...i'm just catching up on my blogs. iye!]

    ReplyDelete