Monday, October 5, 2009

Baking Adventure

So as you know by now thing are a bit different here in New Zealand.  My latest challenge has been mastering the art of metric... all that stuff they teach you in elementary school would come in pretty handy right about now.  For example gram/cup/teaspoon/pound conversions, they all seem so easy.
I was feeling a bit down so I decided to do the thing that makes me feel the most at home... baking my mom's famous chocolate chip cookies.  I went to the local "Countdown" to pick up all of my necessary ingredients: sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla, baking soda/powder, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and buttered flavored crisco.  New Zealand is seriously lacking in the cookie ingredient department.  No crisco, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and real vanilla so we had to improvise.

250 g. brown/white sugar
250 g. butter (no crisco option)
4 eggs- that's the easy part
----- cream by hand------
2 teaspoons salt, soda powder
I don't even know how much flour
dark chocolate buttons
180 deg. Celsius

Thomas says.... he's can't stop eating them:)

Tomorrow we're off to convince the office soft US "bickies" or cookies are the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment